Sunday 6 July 2014

Island 18 - South Uist, 4th July 2014

Welcome signs are very handy to remember where your are

Yes, I did have a busy day on the 4th July but South Uist is only a couple of mines from where the Barra ferry comes in at Eriskay (new) harbour. There is a causeway between the two islands and I am going to use that same pic of the wonderful sign because I love it so much.
Cycling on South Uist with Barra in the background

Speaking of signs, I espied a Green Yes leaflet in the waiting room at the Eriskay Harbour, but on with the journey.

I loved these signs
I did enjoy South Uist. The sun had come out and the wind had eased and I pottered along by the sea, admiring the cottages and the lovely little sandy beaches. I met a young man, Cameron, out doing daring stuff on his bike with his little brother. He was kind enough to take some pictures of me, including this action shot. I was without any support team and so am very grateful to Cameron for stepping in for Bill, who had been Head of Photography until I found Cameron.

Sorry about that, Bill - you shouldn't have left.

So it was time to head back through Eriskay to Barra and from there by big ferry to Oban at the end of my wonderful two-week island-hopping trip. I am indebited to all my supporters along the way - to Mehrab, Willie, Anne, Bill and Cameron as well as to the author of the helpful little book Anne found on Islay - 'Cycling in the Hebrides' by Richard Barrett. Much of the information in these blog posts come from there - like the story of the prize bull drowning on the Vatersay crossing.


No comments:

Post a Comment